10 Apr 2020
- Try “Zero waste cooking”: Innovate dishes where you can use potato peels for making crispies, peel of carrots, cucumber for making vegetable chutney.
- Use less utensils as there is little to no help available to provide help with cleaning up. Try ‘No-Knife Cooking’ , (for example- Bharta)
- Try and look recipes that can be created from one ingredient/dish for Create new dishes out of overnight left over rice, dal etc. Rice= Tadka Masala Rice or Rice Bonda ;Dal= Dal missi Parantha.
- Make ginger garlic paste and onion-tomato masala gravy, Pickle Vegetables in advance, which saves your half cooking time and makes you super organized.
- Pre-clean and cut the vegetables that can be stored in a freezer for a longer time like carrot, peas,corn kernels, cauliflower etc.
- One can go for pickling and brining the fruits and vegetables that can be kept and consumed for longer period of time.
|15.||Chopped Coriander||FOR GARNISH|
For Dhokla Syrup:
- Heat oil in sauce pan on a medium flame; add mustard seeds and let it splutter, then add slitted green chillies.
- Now add water, salt, sugar, lemon juice into it, once dissolved, switch off the flame and keep it aside.
For Dhokla batter:
- Take all dry ingredients (except Eno Salt) of Khaman dhokla in a bowl and mix them well. Add water gradually to make smooth batter of pouring consistency.
- Grease a deep microwave proof dish with 2-3 drops of oil.
- Whisk in eno salt to make the batter fluffy.
- Pour the batter into the greased dish and cover tightly with cling wrap.
- Insert microwave proof dish.in a microwave.
- Set the temperature to 800 watts for five mins.
- Take it out and remove the cling wrap. Allow to rest for 5 mins.
- Then cut the dhokla into pieces.
- Pour syrup on the cut pieces and rest it for a while so that all syrup is absorbed by the dhokla.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with tamarind chutney.
Take care no lumps should be there in the batter.
Always add eno at the last after mixing every ingredients.
Boiled Rice Sooji Uttapam
This is an interesting yet simple recipe which helps understand culinary students, how to create a dish by using leftover boiled rice or minimal ingredients available in the pantry.
Traditionally uttapam are made with a fermented batter which is a long process and takes a lot of time. This instant recipe is just a variation of traditional dish which can be made easily without grinding and fermenting the batter.
You can make this recipe anytime, when you want something quick to eat.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Resting time for batter: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Recipe Yield: 8 medium size uttapams
Semolina or Rava or Sooji
|1.||Boiled rice||Bowl||1||Leftover from previous night|
|2||Bowl||1.5||Non perishable ingredient|
|3||Chopped Vegetables mix||Bowl||1||Available in refrigerator like carrot, green peas, capsicum, tomatoes etc. (choose anything)|
|4||Curry patta||Leaves 9-10||Dehydrated & store in airtight container.|
|5||Curd||Tbsp||4||Good for digestion|
|6||Water||ml||300||Make batter like consistency|
|7||Salt|| ||To taste|
- Clean and chop all available vegetables finely.
- Take a bowl of boiled rice and mash it, so that it combines with the batter well.
For making batter
- Take semolina, mashed boiled rice and curd in the bowl and mix until it combines well.
- Now add water, mix well and make sure no lumps formation is there.
- Let the batter rest for 15 minutes or until the rava absorbs well.
- Add chopped vegetables, curry patta in the batter. Mix it well.
- Check for consistency by adding more water if required. Mix well.
- Now add salt and black pepper as per taste.
- Your batter is ready to use.
Cooking of Uttapam:
- Heat non-stick pan on a medium flame. Line the pan with a spoon of oil.
- Now pour a ladle full of batter in the pan and spread it gently.
- Pour little oil around the edges and let it cook.
- When you see the edges of the uttapan leaving the pan, then flip it.
- Cook further so that both the sides cooks well. It should be little crisp from outside.
- Finally, serve instant boiled rice sooji uttapam with tomato sauce or coconut chutney.
- Make sure no lumps formation is there in the batter.
- The batter should not be to thick or to thin.
- Also, you can use chopped vegetable as a topping, here in this recipe I have added vegetables in the batter to make it simple and also it keeps crunch in the vegetable. Even above mentioned vegetables you can eat raw.